Why Nike Wants You To Draw All Over Its New Huaraches

One of the big (still somewhat under the radar) trends in sneakers is DIY customization. Last year Vetements’ scribbled version of the Reebok InstaPump Fury became one of the most eye-catching shoes of 2017 and Virgil Abloh’s Sharpie-d Off-White x Nike sneakers found themselves on the feet of too many celebrities to count: A$AP Rocky, Bella Hadid, Roger Federer, John Mayer, to name a few. Ever since the “customize it” trend first surfaced, Nike has released replaceable Swoosh logos for select sneakers and even opened a pop-up customization studio in its New York flagship. And now the Swoosh is upping the ante and releasing customizable versions of their most iconic silhouettes, including street style favourite, the Huarache.

Dubbed the “90/10” collection, each sneaker is considered 90% complete, with the remaining 10% left to the imagination of the wearer. This means the white, blank canvas shoes feature “tacky fabric” and come with attachable patches and pins, as well as a stencil sheet that features a variety of Swoosh logos and various Nike branding. It’s basically all you need to create a one-of-a-kind sneaker. In addition to the Huarache, other models include the Special Field Air Force 1 Hi, Air More Money, Vandal Hi Supreme, and Air Force 1 Low. This edition of the Nike Air Huarache comes with a zipper pull tab and four blank patches on the heel so you can draw, patch or pin, whatever your inner sneaker designer desires.

Whether or not you like scribbling on brand-new sneakers, you have to at least respect the swagger. It echoes the work of Martin Margiela and his sometimes low-fi, deconstructionist approach to fashion that sought to embrace imperfections and quirks. (In fact, in the early 2000s, Maison Margiela sold its all-new German Army sneakers with designs made by the brand’s staff.) Fashion and sneakers have always been about selling shiny, immaculate products. . The fact that some sneakerheads are embracing doodles, squiggles, and anything else that gives their kicks a rough-edged personal touch is both punk rock and ultra-sleek. Think of Nike’s “90/10” collection and this pair of customizable Huaraches as a stepping stone to a more personalized wardrobe. Even if you’re not a budding designer yourself, you’re guaranteed to get at least one pair of quirky sneakers.

$130, buy now at Nike

Comments are closed.